Re: (ET) one blade not cutting well

Answers within

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 08:58:57 -0400 (EDT) Michael S Briggs
<msbriggs alberti unh edu> writes:

> On Thu, 27 Jul 2006, David C Robie wrote:
>
> > Well if you're going to just throw it away,  throw it in the trash
> in
> > Weymouth MA.  I'll take it.
>
> Don't get your hopes up Dave, I'm not planning on chucking it. ;)
> I'd
> prefer to get this one working rather than buying another one.
XXXXXXXXXXX
Darn it !
XXXXXXXXXXX

> > How about just doing a bit of mowing and feeling all 3 motors for
> > temperature?  If the bad one is hotter or cooler than the others
> it'll
> > tell you something.
>
> Ah, there's something. When I was using it on Sunday with the
> mulching
> (Gator) blades, the other motors shut off after about 30 minutes of
> mowing
> due to the thermal overload. But, if I remember correctly, this one
> didn't. But, none of them shut off once I switched back to the
> original
> blades.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
That could be a badly calibrated or aged breaker.  Feel em at the point
next time when that first blade breaker drops out.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

> > I've seen a lot of motors with cracked field magnets.  Crack  can
> be
> > fixed with JB weld.  They still work but got a bit less power if
> it's a
> > bad crack.
>
> JB weld? I don't do welding, so I'm not sure what that is.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
A quite sophisticated type of 2 part epoxy resin glue that you buy at
hardware stores
in a pair of 'mix it yourself' tubes for bout $4.00.  Don't buy the
'quick set' kind it ain't a strong.   This shop thrives on it.  But
caution, you gotta prep the surfaces you glue properly
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx

I guess I

> should pull the motor and inspect it. Anyone put any photos online
> anywhere showing disassembly of one of these motors, and what they
> *should* look like inside?
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
I remember a while back putting thi disassembly on the board.  Check out
the thread.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

> Thanks,
> Mike

Anytime (note th times on my emails some are 3am)
Dave