Re: (ET) charger voltage

Michael S Briggs wrote:
On Fri, 28 Jul 2006, Elie, Larry (L.D.) wrote:

Actually, the more cells, the greater the likelihood of one bad actor.
I've seen them actually reverse charge.  Let's see how well you can
bring the pack up when one cell is at -2.3V....  You are lucky to get
the others to 60% charge.
Ok I have 1 battery with a bad cell (shorted cell under the neg. post).  The Landis will bring the rest of
the pack up to 6.47 volts in about 3 hours.  Thats not a 60% charge!

I'd think though that if that happens, you should just replace the
battery. :)
I just had a triple bypass operation and I can't lift an 80 pound battery for several more months.

Mr. Landis and I have disagreed on this in the past.  His charger works.
The ET charger works.  They don't work in exactly the same way.  If the
ET charger stopped at even 40V you will not get a full charge.  Harry's
charger will pump it up again a number of times after the battery cools
which gets the job done.  It won't be as fast, but if you want to just
leave it on for months it's superior.  There are other techniques
Yes it does pump it up.  Just takes a day or so, not months.  Once it's up it may run 5 or 10 minutes
a day to keep it up. Unless you have a bad cell like mine.  So why not leave it plugged in?  It keeps
the pack fully charged, and maintains it, Isn't that what we want.

The Landis controller is set to turn on below 38.5 volts then runs for a set time (apx. 5 minutes) then
shuts off and checks the voltage again.  It does not shut off at 38 volts.  With a fully charged pack the
charge voltage can go from 38.4 to 45 volts in that time.  I have seen my do that.
end of the cycle on an ET charger will be over 42V, with the
batteries well above room temperature.  If you really want to see where
to cut off, measure each battery with a DVM and see if they are all at
least 6.4+V.  Frequently, you have one still at 5.9V with others at 6.5V
at the 38V level.  By the time you are at 42+V, the worst battery is
usually near 6.4V.  Try it yourself and see.

Can't try it right now, since my charger is only putting out 39.5V. :) And
of course the Landis is shutting off the charger when the pack is at 38V.
So, what should I bump it up to? 39V? 40V? 42V? Of course, I'll need to
replace that capacitor first....

Mike