Re: (ET) cordless electric mower

On 24 Jul 2006 at 21:33, David C Robie wrote:

> NIMHs   -  don't believe the hype.

Like anything else it depends on what you're doing with them.  Nicads can
take overcharge much better and I'd guess that's why the tool mfgs went
back
to them.

Users want fast charges but low tool prices.  The mfgs bundle about the
cheapest, crappiest junk chargers they can buy at low bid.  With
relatively
high charge rates (in some cases) and essentially no charge control they
trash NiMH in short order, but nicads can stand this treatment better.

Self discharge is higher on NiMH but not that much higher!  Cheap cells or
failing cells *will* have bad SD though.  I use Nexcell/Powerex/Maha and
sometimes Energizer NiMH for my digital cameras.  One of the cameras sits
in
my briefcase for weeks or months without being used, and only once has it
let me down when I wanted it.  As I said, good cells are higher SD than
nicad but not by *that* much.

NiMH is quite decent - better than nicad but not as good as lithium based
secondary cells - where you need small size, low weight, lots of energy on
board.  Darn few AA size nicad cells will yield a real world 2.2 ah, but
NiMH can and does.  (Though high capacity comes at the expense of cycle
life.)

I don't know how useful this exchange is to trakers since I doubt that
anybody here is going to use NiMH in his tractor - but we do have a couple
of people using nicads.  Flooded ones, that is - not AA cells!

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA

me a private message, please use "evadm at drmm period net."
Americans are satisfied with things because they are large; and
if not large, they must have cost a great deal of money.

                            -- Lepel Henry Griffin, ca. 1885