Re: (ET) crap - started mowing, and lost forward speeds

Thanks for the tips from everyone (haven't had a chance to read all of them yet, since the classes I'm teaching had 5 hours of lecture today - bleah). A quick update though: I found *where* the problem is, and was able to finish mowing. There's apparently a loose connection somewhere either on the panel that card 1 is on, or on one of the wires that connects to it. When I took out the screws and tilted that panel out to start debugging, with the tractor in neutral (seat switch bypassed), as soon as I pushed the speed switch forward, the motor started spinning, instead of the weird behavior I was getting. I closed the panel up, hopped back on, and tried driving - same weird behavior again. I found that wiggling that panel around I could get it into a position where it worked fine. So, apparently some wire connecting to the panel has a flaky connection, that is apparently creating a short (I think) at times. I was able to finish mowing, but definitely don't want to leave it like this, so I'll need to find the flaky connection. I can take a picture tonight of where I *think* it is, but want to find out if it seems reasonable. There's two relays over on what would be the passenger's side of that panel, just behind the speed switch. What do those relays control? I'm guessing one is the forward/reverse switch? One of the wires connecting to one of those relays had a wire spliced in, that looks like a bad connection waiting to happen (and wiggling that wire around, it seems like it was sometimes braking the connection there, using my multimeter to measure the resistance on opposite ends of that connection). So, I'm guessing that's the source of the problem.

Also, I was not happy with how well the Gator Blades worked. But, I'll address that in another email in a minute....

Thanks,
Mike

--

Michael S. Briggs