Re: (ET) E 16

The RTN relay is necessary, and the basis of safe operation of the
tractor.  If these things run away they can run through the side of a
garage.  Or bust the hell out of your neighbor's Mercedes.  If you fall
off the seat somehow you could get run over or even mowed.  And of
course, as the brake is in the circuit too, it shuts off the motor when
you hit the brake.  Full brake with motor still on she don't even slow
down. RTN prevents all of this.

RTN is like a latch that is set when all safeties are satisfied, and
released when any one of them is not.  It also drops out on motor
overheat or brake application.  It kills the accessory too, which must be
manually restarted, as the tractor itself must. RTN is a smart little guy
in a proper use and to take him out is to court disaster.
    I believe that the electronic package to convert these has it built
in,  a 'preventer; circuit  that wires to these safeties and won't allow
startup like RTN don't if all is not satisfied.

YAH I'll  check out that schematic.  If it's a 16 you are in.  Been
thinking of converting my Wheelhorse 'GE 12' to a 16.  Think she's got
the right cam.  Did a 15 yrs ago without a print, just copied a 16.  wish
I had documented it.  To do this you need a field motor, not PM and I got
a spare.

As to rewire;  don't go full power right after 1A and 2A.  Stage it up
through the higher speeds by using those top 3 microswitches to change
resistor values.  Will have to sketch the resistor mount.  You likely
will have to cut the lever notch in the dash for more fwd control
movement.  I almost never use the 'full' positon it's too much and uses
up the batt fast.  Good if you want to make a quick trip to the local
grocery store half a mile away though.  If you're in a town where the
cops don't care.  When I first did this the neighbors gawked.  They saw
me goin like hell but heard nothing. Even a real noisy tranny you can't
hear of you're off the tractor.
    When done she will stage through the upper speeds so smooth you'd
think she was electronic.  If  she don't on a 15, 16 or 20 you need new
microswitches in the controller and might have to bush up the cam if it
wobbles, and replace the pin on the lever that drives the cam

Dave
Weymouth MA