From: "Richard "Zack" Zachary" <njcfsa earthlink net>
To: Matt O'Brien <obrienm00 yahoo com>; Elec-trak list <elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 8:49:43 PM
Subject: Re: (ET) Charger heating while driving

Hi Matt,
I had this exact problem on my E12 and received a lot of help from some very nice people on this list and finally solved it.  So I'll share what happened with you.
The resistors take current and heat in the first and second speeds of the controller and should stop heating in the third speed.  In order to achieve the third speed, the circuit between the solenoid contactors and the centrifugal switch needs to be closed.  You can manually close this connection by pressing the power pulse switch.  If you hold this switch down after achieving second speed and you go into third speed then the problem is in this circuit.  It is either a worn switch in the speed control, a defective 2A solenoid connector, a defective centrifugal switch in the motor, or a bad connection.  After testing all of the above, it turned out in my case to be a bad connection at the Molenex connector in wire # 36.  This wire runs from the motor's centrifugal switch to connector 2A. I just patched around it and it has worked just fine since.  Make sure you use the correct schematic for your machine and test until you find where the break is occurring.
If I can be of any help, let me know.
Zack
E12

Matt O'Brien wrote:
My E-12S  is performing sluggishly.  Has trouble climbing any grade at all.
I notice a electic heat type smell.  Then feeling the hood I can feel the heat that the power resistors in the charger area give off.
I've checked to see that the charger is really off by rotating knob while plugged in.

I've been trying to find the manuals, but I'm having trouble finding where I "filed" them..

Something obvious?
Can I take the charger out?

I plan to charge with PV panels  soon...

Thanks,

Matt O'Brien