Re: (ET) Charger heating while driving

steves wrote:

Matt O'Brien wrote:

My E-12S  is performing sluggishly.  Has trouble climbing any grade at all.
I notice a electic heat type smell. Then feeling the hood I can feel the heat that the power resistors in the charger area give off.

If the resistors are hot, you are in an inefficient speed setting. The resistors limit the current to the armature and slow the motor down at the cost of power. You really want to have the 'throttle' at full and set the transmission to the appropriate gear to the right ground speed. Lower settings use the resistors. As a side note, the E12S has no field weakening, which is why full throttle is the best setting (unlike it's bigger cousins).

Likewise if you are in full speed (3 I think for an E12) then you have a contactor problem. The 1A and 2A contactors are designed to bypass the first and second resistor bands. If one of them is not working, then the tractor will leave a resistor in series with the motor, and it will bog way down going up hills.

The resistors are *NOT* the problem; don't worry about taking the charger out. Instead take a look at the little wires that go to 1A and 2A. IN speed 3, you should see 36 volts across the two small bolts (contactor power) and 0 volts across the two big bolts.

Chris