From: David C Robie [mailto:mycroftxx1 juno com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 9:14 PM
To: Banks, Michael J.
Cc: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: Re: (ET) steering spindle sticking

On anything like this, I use the best 'rust breakfree' product I have
ever fopund, and that is Gibbs.  The stuff is expensive but well worth
it if you are into old mechanical items.  It gotta soak in there for a
while, 5 or 10 minutes.   WD40 is useless it don't creep hardly at all.
Just spray it  on the top of the spindle where the joint is and let it
creep in there.
I do not recommend heat unless it's a last resort.   Chances it ain't
galled (yet) but if it is, Gibbs will help that too.   As to
dissasemble,
 Don't think you'll have to, based on past experience with other
tractors.

As to the 'gear stripping'.  It's a safety valve.  If it gets to be too
loose and strips a lot, there is a casting underneath that holds the
sector gear and you will find too much front to back play in the shaft
for that gear.  Shim the shaft that goes to the front of the tractor.
Sometimes excessive stripping is caused by too much up and down play in
the steering wheel's shaft.  Undo the collar that holds it down and
reset it upwards a bit.  Proper play you should have a little less than
1/8 turn of the steering wheel before the bars at the front shows
motion.

Dave
Weymouth MA