(ET) Fwd: panels - materials besides steel ?

In a message dated 6/12/2006 2:02:57 P.M. Mountain Standard Time, Mbachandz writes:
Two quick comments.

Some EV people have used pre-made fiberglass angle material from fiberglass ladder manufacturers in place of the traditional angle iron for battery "boxes". The advantage is light weight, easy to cut / work with and no rust issues. I don't know about long term durability. This fiberglass angle (90 degrees and red in color) juts out two to three inches and is ~1/4" thick (surprisingly strong and stiff). I have seen some nice EVs using it at the top and bottoms of the batteries. Appears to work real well and doesn't look home made. I don't have a source or a price yet. Don't know what I am talking about? Go to Home Depot etc. and look at the 14' plus fiberglass extension ladders. In terms of the corners a simple 45 degree cut like on your wood door trim at home makes it all look nice. Add a little epoxy, to each corner plus additional fiberglass material (aka boat repair materials) and you are good to go around a corner for the frame.

Point 2 - remember that while Carbon Fiber can be stronger than Fiberglass it also conducts electricity just like angle iron would without a surface coating. Danger Buck Rogers.

Mike Bachand
Denver Electric Vehicle Council (DEVC)
Kawasaki Ninja EV

--- Begin Message ---
[...]

Point 2 - remember that while Carbon Fiber can be stronger than Fiberglass it also conducts electricity just like angle iron would without a surface coating. Danger Danger Buck Rogers.

Mike Bachand
Denver Electric Vehicle Council (DEVC)
Kawasaki Ninja EV

--- End Message ---