Re: (ET) painting, using Extend - galvanizing

On 8 Jun 2006 at 15:25, brianbs juno com wrote:

> I say buy the new boxes and take them to one of those truck "spray in
> liner"
> places and have the insides coated.

I did this with the battery boxes on one of my road EVs.  It worked great.

I think they charged me about half or two-thirds of what they charged to
do
a typical midsize pickup bed.

I wanted to repeat the process with my just-sandblasted mower deck a
couple
of years ago, but I couldn't find a bedliner shop around here willing to
do
it.  They all said it wasn't worth their time.  I finally found one that
would - but they said their material came in packaged quantities
sufficient
to do a large pickup bed, and they'd be wasting most of the package, so
I'd
have to pay the regular pickup bed price.  No deal.

I ended up using epoxy primer and urethane catalyzed (hardened) enamel.
It
seems to be holding up OK so far, knock on wood.

BTW, the first time I refurbished a deck, I cheaped out.  I used a grinder
instead of sandblasting (what a miserable job).  Then I sprayed on
Rustoleum
primer and some of that cheapo appliance "epoxy" paint.  It started
rusting
again in less than 2 years.  That was a waste of effort.

I hope to find time to re-do that one this year.  I'll get it sandblasted
this time, and I may try POR-15 on it.  Or maybe I'll do as as Harry
Landis
suggests, and try hot dip galvanizing.  If I do that, maybe I'll follow
with
the urethane enamel.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA

me a private message, please use "evadm at drmm period net."
Est. yearly US cost to safeguard Persian Gulf oil supply: $50 billion
Est. 2001 value of US crude oil imports from Persian Gulf: $19 billion

                                -- Harper's Index, April 2002