Re: (ET) E 20 - charger hum

Too bad he did not throw the transmission into neutral.

David Roden <etpost drmm net> wrote:
On 4 Jun 2006 at 8:39, Tim Humphrey wrote:

> Which kind of makes me wonder why we have a disconnect in the first place.

In case a contactor sticks and you can't stop the tractor!

When I first started really getting into EVs almost 20 years ago, I heard
about a '70s vintage EV hobbyist who decided he had to try out his not-quite-
finished conversion before having any kind of emergency disconnect in place.
The controller failed and the motor went full on! He was careening down
the road, braking with all his might, to no avail.

Fortunately he had a couple of batteries loose on the front floor of the
car, and his tools on the seat beside him. He was finally able to stop the
car by beating a battery post with a hammer until it broke off.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA

Note: mail sent to the "etpost" address will not reach me. To send
me a private message, please use "evadm at drmm period net."
Est. yearly US cost to safeguard Persian Gulf oil supply: $50 billion
Est. 2001 value of US crude oil imports from Persian Gulf: $19 billion

-- Harper's Index, April 2002