Re: (ET) chargers

neil wrote:
John, I have a Lester "automatic" that really is a ferro resonant type with a big capacitor hooked to the transformer. You could check if yours is the same, if so disconnecting the cap will reduce the output voltage, you should be looking for about 46 volts or so. If you do that be sure the transformer leads you disconnected are well taped, they can be dangerous.

wombat  wonder, do you know what is problem with old charger ?

I can guess what the problem with the old charger is: If it's only 17 volts it probably lost one of it's diodes.

Replace the diode assembly, then replace that capacitor while you're in there. Charger will be happy as clam. To be honest the Elec-trak charger is pretty hefty; it can put in 30 amps at 36 volts at the beginning of a charge and it tapers down to under an amp at 45. Very nice for NiCDs, and if you build a set of battery balancers it would even be good for AGMs.

Chris