Re: (ET) snowblower paint

POR is a very tough paint that adheres well to new and rusty metal. Even when brushed on, it levels nicely and creates a very smooth and slick surface. It is NOT UV resistant, although it's not clear to me if the paint actually breaks down or if the color just fades. I highly recommend it. You can buy a 'six-pack' of half-pints (I think it is) which works well as opened cans have a limited life.

Others have noted a different manufacturer of a similiar style of paint that seems to have added benefits (I think no UV problem for one), but I don't remember the manufacturer.

I blasted and wirebrushed my snowblower to bare metal and repainted with POR and overcoated with yellow enamel. It's a lot of work to get the old finish off; I can't imagine not spending a few extra dollars on putting on the best finish possible. In my world 'best finish' means longest lasting and most protective. To someone else it may mean shiniest or closest to OEM color. I guess, decide what it means in your world and go from there.

Good Luck!

- SteveS

MakingLightning wrote:
I hear about the Eastwood paint POR, or is it PQR, either way, that is used for the snowthrowers a lot on here.

Is it worth paying so much for that and would there be a difference, if I were to sandblast my snowthrower and paint it with normal enamel paint used on tractors? Wouldn’t that still be slippery?

It seems the Eastwood stuff is good because of the rust inhibiting factors and how it sticks to old paint, but that is not an issue if the thing is sandblasted, right?

If I used the tractor paint, would it be better adding more hardener?

I believe the tractor paint is not really any different than rustoleum, it is an enamel paint.

Kevin