Re: (ET) Alltrax install!

Don't you need 4 quadrant switching to do true regen back to the battery.  I think someone in the group installed a 4q unit that does this.

radsett aeolusdevelopment com wrote:
Quoting Ralph & Elaine Vogan :

>> I may be wrong, but my understanding of plug braking is that it does
>> not actually apply reverse current. Rather it maintains the field
>> current while short-circuiting (or nearly so) the armature. This
>> stops the motor very quickly. If I'm wrong about that, I certainly
>> welcome correction of my misapprehension from the designers of the
>> Alltrax, the designers of any other plug-braking controller such as
>> a Curtis, or those who have studied plug-
>> braking controller design.
>>
>> I agree, but plugging means to turn yhe field on & off to control
>> the rate of braking. To bad our Alltrax doesn't work that way.
>> Ralph

OK, now that's a definition I could accept (field control with armature
shorted). It fits with the usage I've seen and covers the reversal in used in
series wound motors (during which they do essentially control the field). I'm
not sure you could modulate the field fast enough in a shunt wound motor to
maintain control which may be why Alltrax doesn't try.

I don't understand why they avoid regen though, but that's their decision.

Robert