Re: (ET) ni-cads

On 15 Feb 2006 at 7:44, tbamc wrote:

> I'm curious as to how much of your description of ni-cads appplies to
> AAA, AA, C, D size batteries?

I welcome comments from those more familiar with semisealed nicads, but as
understand it the chemistry is pretty similar.

There are some changes to reduce gassing as you might expect expect (the
cells are sealed but have pressure release valves).   They design the
negative electrode (cadmium) with extra capacity.  As in any cell once it
reaches gassing voltage during recharge, the water is electrolyzed into H2
and O2. The oxygen is evolved at the positive electrode.  Because its
effective capacity is lower than the negative's, it reaches gassing
voltage
sooner, or so I've read (how this works is a mystery to me, as I'd've
thought that if H2O was electrolyzed you'd have to get both gases).

Anyway, assuming this makes chemical sense and following the good old
Everready Nicad applications manual, as long as the overcharge current is
kept low (either 10% or 1% of capacity sticks in my mind), the negative
electrode can dissipate the oxygen by literally oxidizing.  I would assume
that this cadmium overcapacity (and consequent actual undercharge) is a
factor limiting the cell's specific energy.

I've always read that consumer semisealed nicads were designed to
withstand
low current overcharge fairly well.  However, if my understanding of this
design is right (and I warn you that I am NOT an electrochemist),
prolonged
low current overcharging of a semisealed nicad may not immediately damage
it, but it would have to eventually degrade its negative electrode.  This
is
somewhat similar to the way overcharging of a lead cell will corrode its
positive grids.  Again though I admit that I am NOT an expert on this.

Certainly if the overcharge current is too high and gas evolution gets out
of hand, the cell will open its pressure release valve so as not to
explode.
This is a safety feature and if it happens it means a significant hit on
cell life, just as happens when a lead AGM or gel battery vents gases.

Anyway, I'd say that the advantages and limitations are similar.  In
particular there's no harm at all in storing semisealed nicads in any
state
of charge, so unlike lead batteries there is no need to always recharge
after use.

FWIW, sealed nicads have better cycle life and high current performance
than
the now more popular NiMH, but they don't quite match NiMH for specific
energy.

Nicads also pose more of a disposal problem.  Cadmium is nasty stuff.
There
are certainly sites for recycling nicads, and in the EU there have long
been
laws about manufacturers making efforts to reclaim them.  But it seems
that
too many people don't take the responsibility for this and just landfill
appliances with integral nicads.  (Think of all those Dustbusters out
there
with dead nicads.) Thus I believe they are or will be soon quite
restricted
in the EU.

The US is rather more cavalier about such things and AFAIK there are so
far
no laws restricting nicad use here, but NiMH is the more fashionable
chemistry (with Lithium hard behind it) so it's becoming less of an issue
anyway.

The above is the best of my rather meagre knowledge, and as always
corrections of my ignorance are welcome!

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA

me a private message, please use "evadm at drmm period net."
     And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
     slouches toward Bethlehem to be born?

                                  -- W B Yeats