Re: (ET) Fuse fireball--warning

At 06:25 PM 1/1/06 -0500, Robert Adsett wrote:
Somewhere I've got a link with some tests
Littlefuse did on standard automotive blade fuses for 42V Vehicle
testing.  The difference between using standard blade fuses and properly
rated fuses is rather dramatic.

I should note here that what automotive refers to as a 42V bus in fact runs on a 36V battery (they refer to the current voltage bus as 14V). The 42V is therefore the nominal maximum voltage seen under normal usage. They do allow some additional headroom for transients but not nearly as much as for the 14V bus.

There does seem to be a tendency among some people to use AC rated fuses as if they were DC and to treat he voltage rating on fuses as a soft limit. I hope most people on this list would already know to use only DC rated fuses but just in case......

Robert

" 'Freedom' has no meaning of itself. There are always restrictions, be they legal, genetic, or physical. If you don't believe me, try to chew a radio signal. " -- Kelvin Throop, III
http://www.aeolusdevelopment.com/