(ET) Traction Motor Question.

Hello and Happy Holidays to you all.

I have a question pertaining to an E20 traction motor that I hope someone
can answer for me.  I recently have taken my motor apart to replace the
bearnings and brushes and didn't pay attention to how things should
reconnect.  Yes I know, rule #1 is to make a note or better yet, take a
photo before one attempts to do something like this, but you know how
things
go when in a hurry to get things up and running.  I know that the A1 stud
connects to a brush on the positive red wire side of things.  The other
stud
connector goes to the windings for the negative side of things.  My
question
pertains to the other brush connector.  Does it connect to the base plate
of
the housing along with the other wire from the coil windings?  Do these 2
wires, brush & winding, both connect together to the housing with the
machine type screw on housing?  Or did I miss connecting the brush to
someother point?  I placed the motor clamped to my bench with the
connections as above, but when I applied power, 24v from rear packs for  a
test I almost melted the battery terminal on my packs.  Meter accross studs
shows resistance, is this normal, should a path exhist between A1 & S2
studs?  As I stated earlier, I should have paid better attention before
jumping into this.

Thanks,

Fiddletown Bob