Re: (ET) NiCD powered Elec-trak report

They also maintain very stable voltage until they are almost flat, at which point the voltage falls off a cliff. This is both a blessing and a curse. You have plenty of power for a long time. However, when they're flat, you're pretty much done. With lead batteries a voltmeter (such as the ET uses) tells you very roughly how much charge you have left. With nicads a voltmeter tells you that you're going to be walking. ;-) Christopher is using E-meters to deal with this matter.

I've actually noticed that the voltage does drop a bit as they get around 20 ah down. The voltage slips from 36 down to about 33-34 or so which is down near the bottom of the green bar on the Elec-trak's meter. What is interesting though is how little battery sag there is. You can sit there at a stop, throw the tractor into D, speed 4, then engage the mowers and go up a hill without the needle moving much at all.

When they finally hit empty, one pack typically goes slightly before the other. Then the power output starts to fall as you draw the last ah or two from the remaining pack. Not much possibility of cell reversal; the dead pack will only put out 4 amps and that's it :-)

There is also very little "limp home" capability in nicads, unlike lead batteries; with the latter you can let them rest a few minutes and you'll generally regain just enough capacity to get back to the garage.

True. I've thought about this one, and the probable solution is to carry out either a set of three Hawkers or a set of NiCDs in the rear battery box to get it home. So far though I haven't been able to be stranded.

The flooded type especially are relatively easy to charge with a moderately smart charger : just put back as many amp hours as you took out at about C/5, then drop to C/20 and add another 20%. Alternatively, set a timer to zero, then charge constant current at C/5 until voltage reaches 1.6vpc. Reduce current to C/25, reverse the timer, and charge until the timer counts down to zero. (Based on charge instructions for Saft STM range modules.)

So far it's even easier. Just turn on the Elec-trak charger and set the timer somewhere depending on how much you used them. The Trac charger has a very sharp current cutoff right around 44.2 volts, and the pack's "full" is about 45.2 volts. By that time the trac's charger is down to something like 2 amps (1 per string) which is enough to make them hiss a bit, but not overcharge.

I watered them a few days ago, first time since they went into service in the summer. To be honest they really didn't need it. 10ml or so of water per cell, now they are filled to the absolute gunwales. So now I don't need to think about it till spring.

The only problem I have right now is the batteries seem to want to cross-charge a bit when left alone. The E-meter keeps showing a .1 to .05amp draw with the tractor off, going from one pack to the other and back again. My guess is that NiCDs don't mind being charged and discharged together, but they wind up with a current flow when connected in parallel. Kinda odd.

Chris