Re: (ET) More lift motor observations

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 23:50 Christopher Zach <czach computer org wrote:

> Got another pair of broken lift motors here at the house. Sat down and
> took them apart for a look-see.

<snip>

> running them at 12 volts is a better idea, or if they just need to be
> treated a bit better. They also have no grease in them, have high
> friction, and are filthy as hell. Maybe running them at 18 volts just
> causes the current to jump too high, and the wires can't take the extra
> watts being dropped. Maybe the interconnect wires are old, and as a
> result they increase in resistance and cause problems. Maybe 12 or 10
> gauge wire will hold better than the 14 gauge stuff in there now.
===========================
Good points you brought up, Chris.

I have repaired several GE lift motors myself, and had several that were
not
repairable. I have now sold all my GE tractors, but still have a New Idea
that
I use. Most of you probably know that the New Idea lift motor is
completely
different from those on the GE's - it is not a window lift motor, but
appears
to be a heavier duty motor designed for this use. I have never had
occasion to
work on this motor, as it has never failed. I also heard on this newsgroup
that some of the NI lift motors were actually rated at 36 volts, rather
than 12
volt/used on 18 like mine is.

Since the NI tractors were actually built by GE, (as I understand) how
does
it happen that the lift motor is different? Did New Idea demand a better
motor,
or did the later GE's also have this better motor?

Would someone out there with more knowledge than me enlighten us on this ?

Thanks,
Erv Troyer   Lagrange, IN
New Idea EGT 150 (and 1 GE E-15 that I just couldn't turn down a few weeks
ago.)