Re: (ET) Motor Question

Very interesting Idea.  I would just have to jumper the thermal switch
that is the same plug as the field to get the contactor to pull.
  Thanks,
  Rob

Hump <hump evgrin com> wrote:

I've done this with these motors more than once.

If you wired the armature backwards the tractor would run backwards. The
E-20 reverses the field to control the tractor direction. So if you had
the arm wired backwards then the tractor would run backwards, since the
series fields are wired internally.

Here's the easy way to check the arm polarity.

The motor should draw less current in forward than in reverse, since in
reverse it is fighting the series windings. If it draws less in reverse,
then BOTH the field and Arm are backwards

But just to have fun....

1. Jack up the rear tires.
2. put shifter in LL, and direction switch in fwd.
3. press foot pedal
4. tires should spin in fwd direction

5. remove field wires from motor
6. press pedal again
7. tires can't possible move in any direction but forward, since the
series fields are wired internally.

8. reattach field wires.
9. verify proper direction control.
10. remove jack