Re: (ET) Some Battery advice

On 7 Sep 2005 at 8:14, ThompsonG DFO-MPO GC CA wrote:

> First, in one of my tractors one of the batteries is showing 2 volts
> less than
> the other 5 ...

This usually means that battery has a weak or shorted cell.

> after a night
> on a 6V charger it is up to about 6.3V, the rests of the pack are around
> 6.0.

Test that battery with a load before using it, to see how many amp hours
it
can deliver before the voltage drops to around 4 volts (indicating the
weak
cell is at zero volts).  It's fairly likely that the battery (or rather
that
cell) will have only a few amp hours of capacity.  If you continue to draw
current after that, you'll reverse the cell, which will drastically weaken
it (indeed that has probably already happened at least once).

A long, slow equalization charge on that one battery (a couple days to as
much as a couple weeks at 2-4 amps) will get you all you're ever likely to
get with that battery.  Most likely though that cell will continue to be
the
weak link in your pack, and you'll end up replacing that battery.

> Will a full 36V charge balance the pack?

It's better to treat the weak battery individually.  Don't be fooled by
reading a higher voltage on it; that battery is more recently charged, and
the good cells are pushing the voltage higher.

> Second, another of my tractors a full
> charged show white on the Voltage fuel gauge, but each battery as at 6.6
> volts
> I thought they should be at 7.2V.

When the charger is connected and operating, a battery at 7.2 to 7.5 volts
is fully charged (at around 25 deg C).  Note that this is ^on charge^
voltage. When you disconnect the charger, voltage will fall rapidly at
first, then more slowly.  Several hours later it will stabilise at around
6.3 to 6.4 volts.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA

Note: mail sent to the "from" address above may not reach me.  To
send me a private message, please use "evdl at drmm period net."
Americans are satisfied with things because they are large; and
if not large, they must have cost a great deal of money.

                            -- Lepel Henry Griffin, ca. 1885