(ET) Shunts in for NiCD batteries

Well, I finally put in the Link 20 meter for my Elec-trak. This is basically two Link-10 battery monitors with a special dual shunt. Now I can monitor each string of my two string NiCD battery pack and see if it slips out of balance.

Some things I have noticed:

While the tiller may seem to be a big accessory, it doesn't draw that much current. Maybe 100-120 amps while chewing. Part of the reason is the tractor is really *not* moving much with it; in fact the trick seems more to be use the brakes to hold the tractor back. The snowblower pulls a lot more power. Still, I only burned about 20 amps total plowing a few rows, not that bad.

The lift motors *really* throw packs out of balance. To the tune of half an amp for 10 amps drawn. That's about 5%. I vastly prefer running the rear lift on 12 volts; it runs a bit slower but I think it's going to last and that extra second doesn't mean much to me.

The Elec-trak's main charger puts out a solid 20 amps at 40 volts into the pack. Not too bad; it tapers down to 4 amps by 44 volts, and 2 amps by 44.5 (end of charge for the NiCDs.)

Chris