Re: (ET) Testing the "Fuel Level" and "Power Use" instruments

The Fuel Level is voltmeter movement and can be tested by applying 0-40V or so across the terminals. It measures the battery voltage directly. I forget what the exact full scale should be. Start with a low voltage first to be sure you have '+' and '-' right, otherwise you'll bang the needle hard against the left stop.

The Power Use gauge is a 150 millivolt (as I recall) movement. Note the "MILLI". If you apply more than a a fraction of a volt you can burn the meter out! It measures the voltage drop across a shunt. Can't think of a slick way to test it off the tractor without having a couple of resistors.

They are a standard meter movement size so they are not hard to substitute for. I would use a 50V meter for Fuel Level, and a 150mV meter for power use. Problem is, even surplus, they aren't real cheap. Also I'm half-guessing at the full scale for the meters as I'm at work and can't check the actual values. It's in the archives somewhere, or maybe I can check my meters if you need to know.

- SteveS

Allen Hunt wrote:

Is there a way to test the "Fuel Level" and "Power
Use" instruments if they are not on the tractor?  The
"Power Use" gauge never worked, while the "Fuel Level"
gauge worked for a while and the the tractor quit
working along with the "Fuel Level" gauge even though
the batteries are fully charged.  I am taking things
out now getting ready for the Alltrax installation and
I'd like to know if these are any good.  If not, can
third-party replacements be found anywhere?  I looked
at curtis, but couldn't decide if anything would
replace the "Power Use" gauge.

Thanks for your help.

Allen