RE: (ET) Problem with E20

Perry Cain wrote:

> What the varistor does is protect voltage spikes.  It "captures" them.
> At
> some point, over time, it just cannot take it anymore and cooks.  A card
> problem just speeds this up.

Hmmm.

I don't have an E-20, mine is a New Idea EGT-150.  I do have a varistor on
teeny little board with some diodes crammed onto it.  The varistor is
toast.
But my tractor seems to run fine.

If it's supposed to be capturing spikes, might I be doing damage to my
tractor?  Can someone give me an "Elmer the Electron" description of what
the varistor does on an EGT-150 (similar to an E-15)?

Chris