Re: (ET) Buck/boost for E20 charger....

It has been done . Proceed with caution, and meter everything that's going on. Output voltage, current , and line draw . Keep an eye on diode and transformer temperature with an infrared thermometer. Small changes in the capacitor's value can result in dramatic changes elsewhere.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Christopher Zach" <czach computer org>
To: "Elec-trak list" <elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
Sent: Sunday, June 12, 2005 11:06 PM
Subject: (ET) Buck/boost for E20 charger....

Ok, this is going to be interesting.

So I came into possession of approximately 300 SAFT NiCD cells. Each cell is a BB600 form factor, and puts out 30-40ah at 1.2 volts. Flooded cells.

That's the cool news. What I want to do is put these puppies into my E20 and get rid of the T105's. I think I can replace a T105 with 15 of these cells (5 cells wide=6 volts, 3 ranks deep=110ah) and get a tractor that will run full power in the summer, winter, etc for about 20 years per pack.

Problem is charging them. The E20's charger ramps up to 45 volts IIRC, is it possible to change the cap value and boost the voltage a bit higher? NiCDs like around 1.6vpc, or 8 volts per 6 volt battery or 48 volts nominal. Add 2 volts to that for the battery control circuit I use (the TI DQ series) and I would need the Elec-trak transformer to put out a max of 50 volts.

SO any thoughts on getting that ferro-resonant transformer to have a slightly higher secondary without rewinding it?

Chris