Re: (ET) Alltrak DCX300 ET in E20

There may be some confusion here and perhaps I can add to it ;-)

The E20s I know have the wire cable shunt (as Chris described) to measure battery current draw. They also have the metal strip shunt (again, as Chris described) as a safety device in line with the armature to shut things down if armature current gets too high. From the schematic it looks like it activates at a about 1.4V (diode drop and a transistor P-N junction). But that's when it should activate. Normal drop should be much less. Any appreciable voltage drop would cause wasted power. I should measure the thing and calculate it out....

BUT - the E12S (and probably E15 and maybe others) use a metal plate shunt similiar to the motor cut-out shunt as the battery current draw shunt. The power use gauge is connected across that shunt. It is located essentially in the same place the motor shunt is located - middle of the 'firewall' (E12s and E15 don't have the motor shunt). Perhaps some models of E20 used that setup. Anyone know if that's possible?

- SteveS

Raymon Ellis wrote:

Chris, please forgive me for any inference that I might have implied that did not reflect honor to your knowledge of electronics. I respect you for your vast knowledge and your willingness to drop down to my level of conversation when speaking of the AllTrax conversion. You are correct; the power resistor should not be termed a shunt. But when you said I should not “put the ammeter across the shunt” I saw red. Chris, you are a great influence on this site. I did not put the ammeter across the shunt. GE installed the ammeter across the shunt before I bought it new 35 years ago when they built my E20 where it has remained since. I think this is a case of poor communications on my part. Steve Richardson’s AllTrax installation schematic also specifies the same power use meter in the circuit of the DCX300 ET. There is no card #3 or card #4 in my tractor now and there never will be because I do not know how to rebuild my E20 back to the original setup. If the AllTrax conversion is not successful my wife and I have already decided to head for the dump with it and move on. I’ll be fine when a new working controller is installed in my precious ElecTrak.

Chris, I want to continue to read your helpful writings without bad feelings, so please understand that my intentions are in the best interest of you and this forum and all the good people who are trying to keep their ElecTrak moving. Best regards, Raymon