RE: (ET) Fenders

Bill Wallace wrote:

> You can see a picture of one at the URL below.  They are basically a
> small
> hole saw with a spring loaded center.  The center is there to help you
> place the bit and retracts as you cut so you don't the the force or
> torque
> required to drill through the area hardened by the spot weld  This avoids
> having to push hard enough to distort the sheet metal, allowing you to
> salvage both parts.
>
> Thanks,
> Bill
>
> http://www.bennetts.com/garage/bodyshop?contentId=27155

I haven't used one like that before.  Can't say how it'll work, but I don't
think you need to go across the pond to find a solution.  Go to
http://www.eastwoodco.com/ and enter "spot weld cutter" in the search
feature.  You'll find several tools there; one is certain to do the job.  I
personally found item #19017 to work well.  (Use some sort of cutting oil
help the tool last.)

Generally spot welds distort the metal slightly.  Look closely and you
should see slight round depressions maybe 1/4" in diameter, a couple of
inches apart.

Chris Tromley
near Philadelphia PA  USA

100% Gas-Free Yard Equipment:
* Avco New Idea EGT 150 electric tractor
  with mid-mounted mower deck and snow blade
* B&D corded electric mower and string trimmer
* Patriot 1.5 hp electric chipper/shredder/vac
* Remington Garden Wizard corded electric tiller
* Craftsman corded electric 16" chain saw