(ET) Re: Soneil charger experiences & advantages

It may not be too big a deal in our application, which is a relatively low
stress one for batteries, but golf car batteries are usually happier when
they're hit with a more muscular initial charge than 3 amps.  A lead
battery
really should have a charge that starts in the range of C/10 to C/5 (that
is, amp-hour capacity expressed as amps divided by 5 to 10).  Thus a 250
amp-
hour battery should be charged at 25 amps or more.

I'm not an electrochemist, and my understanding of the reason for this is
rather dim.  I get the impression that the higher current somehow
penetrates
the lead sulfate on the plates (this lead sulfate is NOT a pathological
condition, as some gadget marketers would have you believe, but rather a
natural consequence of discharging a battery).  From what I understand,
it's
NOT necessary to have that high a current during the entire charge period,
just for the first few minutes or so.

Some batteries need this more than others.  In particular, Hawker Genesis
batteries are notorious for developing severely reduced capacity if they
don't have high current charging at least on some cycles.

A set of low current modular chargers is probably fine for performing the
finish charge on your battery pack, but it may be a good idea to use the
GE
charger for at least the first few minutes when you recharge.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA

Note: mail sent to the "from" address above may not reach me.  To
send me a private message, please use "evdl at drmm period net."
All we learn from history is history repeats.

                     -- Andrew Ratshin