(ET) Re: Elec-trak Digest, Vol 3, Issue 109

I visited the Edmond site. It looks like an MTD. Personally, I like the appearance of the GE/Wheel Horse version. Remember how nice the Cub Cadet tractor with the cast iron grill looked? These two designs are nice and clean. I can't but wonder how much it costs to make the sheet-metal dies or the molds for the "bulbus" looking plastic hood components, and these costs are of course conveyed to the buyer. Somewhere in time, the designers of mowers had to follow the car manufactures in "curving" their designs (some of this was done to control engine noise emission with "unitized" hood designs). You could also watch the construction equipment manufactures follow the same trend. Though the sphere is the most efficient use of space, I have never seen a spherical battery to fit the same space, so it would seem that it would be better for form to follow function. I wonder what it would cost in manufacturing terms to duplicate the E-20 for current production? For any given year plus fifteen more, there will always be more GE's around than the MTD that would be fifteen years old (make sense?). Longevity ... the best measure of design, but it does not sell mowers. By the way ... what does a New Idea Tractor look like? Anyone out there have a link? Oh, and one other thing ... maybe it would be nice to find a designer who works for MTD and who would join the group as a "guest" contributor on "current" design attitudes.

John