From: elec-trak-bounces cosmos phy tufts edu [mailto:elec-trak-bounces cosmos phy tufts edu] On Behalf Of Herb Crary
Sent: Saturday, February 19, 2005 6:43 PM
To: Elec-trak Mail List
Subject: Re: (ET) Charger repair.

I hadn't thought about using equipment on 50 hz vs. 60  hz in years. There are a couple of things that you would need to change or look into. Since the charger is a ferro-resonant circuit, you shouldcjange the capacitor. The resonant frequency is proportionate to one over the square root  of the LC product, where L is the inductance of the transformer and C is resonant tuning capacitance. This means that the capacitance for 50 hz would be would the 60 hz capacitance times the square of the frequency ratio, which is 3600/2500 = 1.44.

The other consideration is that the losses in the transformer and the magnetic flux density produced are dependent on the frequency. This generally means that there will probably be more loss, and thus more heating, at 50 hz. This may require derating the power you can get from it without overheating, etc.

The specifications of the charger should really contain an allowable operating frequency range. I last had to deal with this problem in the '50's, when I was designing equipment for operation in Australia and New Zealand. Most of the equipment then was rated for 50-60 hz. An inter5esting problem came up in New Zealand. Most of the power there was generated by hydroelectric plants. They were having water shortages at that time. They didn't have enough water available to run the turbines fast enough to generate 50 hz. The frequency often was several hz below 50, which was getting pretty marginal for operation. I don't remember that anything failed as a result of this, however.

Good luck with it.

Herb Crary
Boulder CO