Re: (ET) dumb question on controllers.

At 10:27 AM 2/2/05 -0500, Chapin, Tim wrote:
Can you hook up a series motor controller to control a permanent magnet
motor?

Only under special circumstances. It's one of those things that's possible to do, but it's also possible to destroy the controller in the process. Deceleration (and the accompanying regenerative braking current) is the most troublesome spot. You would need to add contactors in any case if you wanted to reverse direction.

If you don't want to reverse direction it's possible that Curtis have a uni-directional PM controller. I'm fairly sure 4QD does. It might also be worth checking SRE Controls. I know they have/had a simple PM controller.

Robert

" 'Freedom' has no meaning of itself.  There are always restrictions,
be they legal, genetic, or physical.  If you don't believe me, try to
chew a radio signal. "

                        Kelvin Throop, III