        From: Klein Robert W NPRI
        Sent: Mon 1/31/2005 8:26 AM
        To: 'Markus Lorch'; elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
        Subject: RE: (ET) Evaluate used batteries from golf course

        Mark,

        I've had a lot of luck in revitalizing old batteries with EDTA.
A tablespoon per cell will help remove the lead sulfate from the plates.
I brought two golf cart batteries back from the dead this way.  They had
been run completely down, frozen, drained, exposed to air, neglected,
etc.  I added good water with EDTA added, ran them through some heavy
charging cycles and they worked amazingly well right up until a year
later when I was experimenting with on off-gassing charge and blew the
case apart, (but that's another story).  Note:  I used these batteries
to cut my one acre lawn all suimmer as well as snow plowing in the
winter.

        Good luck... Sounds like a great deal.

        Bob K