RE: (ET) RE: Alltrax DCX300 availability - Alltrax versus 4QD

My 275 amp unit is ok.  There are times when I notice the torque is not as high as the old "power pulse button".   I think 120 might be ok but you are leaving a lot of torque on the table.
Rob , NH

Markus Lorch <mlorch vt edu> wrote:
Tim,

you are right, its only rated at 1.2hp continuous. From my (little)
experience electric DC motors in this category are typically rated
to draw up to 5 times their rated amperage for short periods and
typically 20% more for the 1h rating. So for this motor it would
be something like 35A continuous, 40A for 1 hour, 175A max.

However, I have whitnessed my motor to draw in excess of 400A for
a few seconds, e.g. when I floor the peddle from a dead stop or
when I drive up a an incline while I am in field weakening. The
current limiting feature on my working E20 turns field weakening
off pretty quickly and the current drops significantly.

So it sounds like a 120A controller is fine for most mowing
but it may limit the performance of the E20 flagship
to what a smaller tractor could do as well. When I used
my E20 to grade my driveway (15 tons of 21A gravel) I
did it in L and typically lost traction (even with chains)
on one wheel before the power meter showed in the red.
For this type of work the missing differential lock is
the limiting factor IMO.

Markus