RE: (ET) Dead on the road

Bob,

the first thing I check if my motor doesn't move or only
moves a little bit is if I still have the main motor field.
A missing field is typically indicated by the armature drawing
excessive current while the motor barely moves (the small series
field on this compound motor may give it enough field strength
to move a little bit). The power use gauge will show high power
levels (just try this briefly).

If this is the case, then I would go and check the diodes on card 4,
the ones to the right bottom of the card (bottom being where the
connector is) on my CC and BA model tractors are responsible for
providing the field current in the same direction independent of
the armature current flow direction. They broke on both my tractors
and I replaced them with large rectifier diodes (I think rated 6A)
from RadioShack (which I think is overkill, but thats what they
had in the store).

I don't have my schematics at hand right now, hope this helps.

Am still investigating why my own speed 8 doesn't work :)

Good luck

Markus