(ET) Tire chains

 - Greetings -

Joel Parks asked a fine question that hit a resonance with me.  The several
tire chain choices may depend on where one lives, really, what is the
average annual snowfall.

Here in piedmont North Carolina, the chooice may be for inexpensive tire
chains which won't even be used every winter.   The E-20 gets equipped
with cut-down (in length) auto chains of reasonable width and low cost
(used and free).  Of course, these will not stay on the fat rear tires.
Happily there are those four little square holes in the wheels located
on a circle larger than the bolt hole circle.  A piece of 3/16" rope,
about 20" long, is hitched at its midpoint to a washer and threaded thru
the square hole from the back.  This is done for all the holes in the
rear wheels.  In the mild season, the loose ends are tied together by
the wheel bolt heads.  When the tire chains go on, the outer circumference
chain is tied at four places with these ropes.  The chains stay on, slip-
page is minimized, and performance is fine.  Happily, I do not have to
do this often.  The original ropes have been on for more than 15 years
with nary a break.

Hope this helps.
                                        Rhett