(ET) Running Hawkers as a aux pack for an E-20

Well, after balancing out a set of three Hawker batteries (26ah, previously dried, and re-watered to about 85% capacity) I put them together in parallel with my Elec-Trak's 6 T105 pack.

Before hooking them up I charged the T105's to full (all 3 sets of 2 T105's were reading 14.7) and charged the Hawkers individually, then together for 24 hours in parallel. All batteries read between .1 volt of each other (more like .05 or better)

The hawkers are fused 40 amps, and plugged in parallel with the main pack via the accessory port. For safety's sake the Elec-Trak core has a 45amp breaker on this port as well.

Driving the tractor was very nice. The voltage sags were less and the tractor felt a bit more "crisp". After running around for awhile I drove back to the house and put it on charge.

All three of the Hawkers were reading different voltages under charge. One would read 14.5 while the second was reading 13.9, and the third was reading 14.2. When the charger hit "full", two of the Hawkers were at 14.5, with the third at 15.4. Bit odd, however at this point current thru the Hawker string was .3 amps.

I'll run them thru a few more charge/discharge cycles however this did look something like what I saw in the Prizm pack. Batteries that looked to be in sync based on resting voltage being out of sync after a small discharge and on recharge. I might also spring for a set of six Rudman regulators, and try running two strings of Hawkers in parallel with the T105's.

Chris