(ET) Re: How to drive my shredder?

An APC Smart-UPS 2400 is what you want. They can power just about anything.

The issue though is they typically have 4 12 volt 17ah batteries, so not much capacity. I typically just toss mine in the back of the Elec-Trak in the weight box and go with it for heavy chainsaw work.

When I need longer term power I do something "bad". I take a 100ah AGM battery, put it in *series* with the Elec-Trak's 36 volts of floodeds, and run it all into the 48 volt input on the 2400. I charge the batteries seperately, and I watch for spread using my battery monitors, but it gives you basically 400ah at 48 volts to play with.

Chris

Chris Tromley wrote:
This is really an Elec-Trak question, but I've posted it to the EVDL too -
lots of tech-heads, and responses might serve to improve understanding of
different motor types.

Earlier this year I moved to a new house.  Bigger lot, more trees, same
amount of time (too little) to deal with it.  Bought an electric tractor.
Works *great*.  Cuts my mowing time WAY down.  Now it's fall.

Y'know what?  50+ trees drop a LOT of leaves and needles.  Raking takes too
much time.  So would blowing.  Feeding them to the shredder takes too much
time, so would bagging them.  I'm *not* doing this again.  Solution?  Mount
my electric chipper shredder
(http://www.patriot-products-inc.com/products.htm#eleccsv) to a tow-behind
cart so I can finish the job in a few hours.

Here's my question.  What's the best way to drive the shredder?  The
tractor
runs on 36 VDC.  These tractors can run some very power-hungry attachments
with current draws up to 200 amps.  The chipper/shredder has a 1.5 hp motor
with the following specs:

Mfr: Magnetek (no info at website)
Cat. # 8 -184510-02    HP: 1.5    Type: CP
Volts: 115    Amps: 13.0    Hz: 60
RPM: 3450    AMB: 40°C    SF: 1.00
Time: Cont    Code: G    Encl: TE
FR: F56C2    Form: KMW

As for the RPM, a hand-held mechanical tach reads just over 3500 rpm.  The
motor has two bulges of different lengths on the case (starting caps?).
What kind of motor is this?  Specifically, what kind of inverter would I
need to drive it?  Could it take a crude excuse for a sine wave or does it
want the real thing?  What rated output should the inverter have for
reliable use?  I'd also like to run my B&D string trimmer off this, but I
think your typical universal motor doesn't care much about wave form?

If the inverter to drive this motor is too pricey, I'm thinking I could
swap
the motor for a DC unit and run it direct from the tractor.  Suggested
sources?  Then I'd just get a cheapo inverter for the string trimmer.  Am I
on the right track here?

TIA,

Chris Tromley
near Philadelphia  PA
USA

100% Gas-Free Yard Equipment:
* Avco New Idea EGT 150 electric tractor (equivalent to GE Elec Trak E15M)
with snow blade
* B&D corded electric mower and string trimmer
* Patriot 1.5 hp electric chipper/shredder/vac
* Remington Garden Wizard corded electric tiller
* Craftsman corded electric snow thrower