(ET) Tiller repair part 1: Assessing the status and motor

I'll write some of my thoughts on this tiller project. It's going to be a medium-density restoration job; we'll see how it goes.

First step was to remove the motor. The motor probably weighs around 50-60lbs, and with it off the rest of the unit is much easier to move around. It was secured with 4 bolts, all of which had frozen/stripped nuts. Fortunately I have my trusty oxy-acetylene torch, so I heated the nuts red hot and knocked them off with a chisel.

With the motor off I took it to the shed to assess the damage. A bit of penetrating oil on the shaft and removal of the brush guards allowed me to clean the motor out. Then I tried the shaft: Moves without any grumbling or noise. Quite smooth. When they say these bearings are weather-sealed, they are not kidding.

I hooked the motor up to a 12 volt battery and it spun right up. Bit of noise from the brushes, but it's actually rather quiet. I am impressed: A 35 year old electric motor that has been sitting outside for who knows long is back up and running with a simple cleaning and a bit of oil.

Next I took the belt guard off the unit itself. Penetrating oil and gentle pressure got the bolts off. The tiller body seems to have a primer coat of paint on it that is red, oversprayed with the Elec-Trak yellow. *ALL* of the yellow paint is gone, however most of the red is still there, so instead of being totally rusted it's just some surface pocking in places. Overall in *very* good shape :-)

The power cord is intact, but toast. Cracked insulation and all that. I'll put a new one on.

The lift is a total mess, but I'm starting work on that this weekend. So far it goes one direction only. I think the wiring is totally shot.

Overall this is going to be an interesting project. I might try sanding down the belt guard and trying out the POR15 on it to see how it works.

Chris