Re: (ET) Re: ET reliability

Overall, the tractors that use the armature contactors for reversal have proven to be the units that will withstand operator error. In the magazine articles that appeared after the introduction of the Elec-Trak®, one of the demonstrations was a tire smoking Reverse to Forward to Reverse sequence without the use of the brakes.

Before everyone starts ripping their E20's from fwd to reverse for fun..........

The difference between the E20 and the E15 is that the E15 switches field current to reverse, the E20 switches armature current. Field current is small by comparison, and is thus switched by a small DPDT relay. Armature current is switched by four single pole contactors arranged in a push pull set of pairs.

The problem with an E15 going from moving fwd to reverse is that the difference will make a large *SPARK* across the relay points. Relay points being little things they will melt down in short order and fail.

The E20 contactors are a lot bigger and all that, however the current that they will be subjected to is much higher as well. You probably won't weld them shut (which would be bad) but you will probably pit the contactor and over time it's resistance will increase. This will cause the contactor to get hot while operating and eventually cause voltage sag. I replaced a contactor pair on my E20 (well, actually flipped it upside down to balance the wear since 95% of the time I'm hitting the fwd contactors) and it is a pain in the rear.

To prevent the sparks, both systems use MOVs across the respective points. I think that's a good idea, but a MOV will blow up if you hit it too hard or too many times.

Moral: Please don't throw any tractor from full fwd to full reverse, even if you can. I'm sure it's not good for the transmission either.

Going from speed 1 to speed 1 reverse probably isn't that bad on an E20 since the resistor band will take the brunt of the shock/arc, but it's not good at all on an e15.

Chris

----- Original Message ----- From: "Elie, Larry (L.D.)" <lelie ford com>