ET reliability (was: RE: (ET) [Fwd: Re: PICS of E20 with mower in Virgina])

Chris Zach wrote:

<snip>

> However this does bring up a point: Elec-Traks are not point
> and shoot
> tractors. They are not like the average Craftsman tractor which can
> basically be run with no maintenance till they fall apart in
> 7-8 years.
> In owning an Elec-Trak one sort of has to be able to do simple
> troubleshooting and some wire tracing/component replacement
> when needed.
>   If nothing else, it's 30+ years old. And we're running them in
> production (well I am; mine needs to mow and blow reliably)
>
> That said, the E12's and E10/8's are about as simple as one
> can find. In
> fact I'd have to say the E12 is about the most point and
> shoot Elec-Trak
> with the best bang for the buck. But even with an Altrax and a Landis
> one is still going to have to fiddle with the tractor to keep
> it running.
>
> Is it worth it: Yes. Is it simple: Eh, depends. It's a bit harder
> without Bill, however I think the community here has filled that gap.
> Such is the way of things with any type of oddball, be it a
> Delorean, a
> Lotus, an electric car, or an electric tractor.

Hi Chris,

I thought I'd offer some perspective from one who is still very new to ETs
and the whole concept of tractors in general.  (If anyone had suggested to
me a few years ago that I'd be driving a lawn tractor, I would have died
laughing.)

Like many, my New Idea tractor is not a hobby.  It's a tool.  I need it to
work when I need it.  I can't afford surprises, don't have the time.  If I
wasn't so pro-electric power, I might have considered a gas tractor.  But
then I read in Consumer Reports that garden tractors and riding mowers are
among the most unreliable consumer products out there.  Like most consumer
products, they're not meant to be fixed by Joe Average.  Since I don't own
truck, that means service calls.  On weekends, the only time I have
available.  Very expensive, very inconvenient.

To me, an ET makes perfect sense even if you completely disregard the
environmental benefits.  It's built simply.  With a few basic tools, a
schematic, some sandpaper for the odd corroded contact, a hammer to whack
that sticking relay, some bubble gum here, baling wire there, a little
common sense or maybe a post here, it's rolling again.  And when you take
the time to fix it right, the chances are good that it will stay fixed.

Not that I've had to do so much as clean a contact yet.  So far, the thing
just works.

I know most people think "real" tractors are gas powered.  The reality I
see
with my New Idea makes more sense.

Chris Tromley
near Philadelphia  PA
USA

100% Gas-Free Yard Equipment:
* Avco New Idea EGT 150 electric tractor (equivalent to GE Elec Trak E15M)
  Need a snow blade!
* B&D corded electric mower and string trimmer
  - to be powered by tractor-mounted inverter some day
* Patriot 1.5 hp electric chipper/shredder/vac
  - to be turned into a tow-behind vacuum cart some day
* Remington Garden Wizard corded electric tiller
* Craftsman corded electric snow thrower
  - to be sold when I get a blade for the tractor