Re: FW: (ET) Electric Chipper/Shredder?

I'm using an E-15 Motor to power my band-sawmill. It works, but is severly
lacking in power. Well, not severely, but it needs power at speed not down
low.

I currently have it geared to spin my band at about 4800fpm at top
speed(no load).

The band needs to run at at least 4000 fpm to get an accurate cut, when I
get into anything over 8 inches it really wants to slow down unless I
reduce the feed rate to a snails pace. It took me about a minute and a
half to rip a 2 x 10 17' long hemlock the other day. When the band slows
down it will tend to either rise or dive into the wood, of course that is
not good.

I'm thinking about changing my motor pulley to a larger diameter to get a
no load speed of around 7000, then I can bring it down to around 4-5k by
feeding the stock a little faster.

To do that safely I think I need some sort of controller. Probably the
best would be one that mimics a cruise control function and will adjust
voltage/current to keep the motor at a set speed. Then I can put on a much
larger
drive pulley and not have to worry about it overspeeding the band.

It has been challenging, finding a local supply of various sizes of 7/8"
ID pulleys

Anyway, I think you may find the same issues with the chipper/shredder.
They need power at a high RPM, keep that in mind. You will probably want
to have a 1:2 gear in order to keep the motor into its torque band and
still keep the chipper at a reasonable RPM. Then again....band-sawmills
are normally run with 20hp and up ICE's not 5-12, so you might be OK. But
you could possibly have a unit that rivals a 20HP ICE chipper.

As a couple points of reference.

My mill is powered from the E-Trak PTO, when the ammeter on my mill is
reading 125amps, the tractor is right in the lowertomid yellow region on
the E-Trak gauge. The mill idles at 25amps, this barely registers on the
E-Trak. I'll try to get some digital shots of the two gauges working in
unison this weekend.

Stay Charged!
Hump
Rome, NY
I-5, Mower,Thrower,Chainsaw,Bandsaw,Blade.