(ET) Pull a Steering Wheel

Hi

I have not tried this,  but  it is fresh off the Wheelhorse list and it seems like something that need to be passed along.

Personally, I usually just take the shaft, steering wheel and the dash off to my local machine shop and they coax it off with the 15 ton press. But, the guy who runs the shop is an old tractor guy and he is very helpful. Others may not be so lucky.

Subject: Pull a Steering Wheel

Here's what works for me, and I've done this a dozen times:

1)  Remove the Steering Wheel (SW) and dash housing assy from the tractor.

2)  Pull all the stuff from the dash housing...all the switches and the two cables.

3)  Loosen the set screw and friction collar on the shaft.  Slide this as far toward the gear end as possible.

4)  Slide the dash housing out of the way, toward the gear end.

5)  Drive the roll pin thru the SW and remove it.  (An air hammer with a small-point punch works great.)

6)  Put the SW shaft in a vise and drill a SHALLOW 1/4" dia hole in the CENTER of the SW shaft on the SW end.

7)  Place the SW and shaft upsidedown onto a deep-well socket and find someone you don't like to hold it for you.

8)  Apply a 'Shop Press' to the geared end of the shaft.  (That's right...this'll break it loose...might take 2 or 3 applications.  Only need to move it a little...you can easily file away the beating marks)

9)  Having loosened the shaft of #8...

10)  Place the shaft vertically in a good vise and lightly clamp the shaft so that the SW is resting on the top jaws of the vise.

11)  Ya know that 1/4" hole you drilled in the center of the shaft....

12)  Using a bigger punch in an air hammer, drive the shaft down thru the steering wheel.

13)  Presto...Steering Wheel is off, without damage.