To: "Elec-trak list" <elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2004 9:31 PM
Subject: (ET) Ok, my E20 is insane

Ok, this is really weird.

Right now my E20 is in an odd place. If you put it in neutral and press
down on the pedal, the motor comes up to full speed immediately. That's
on throttle setting 1.

Go to setting two. You hear a click, but the motor spins at the same
speed. Same with setting 3 and 4. A click each time from the contactors
but no change in motor speed. Speed 4 is normally full armature, full

field.

In speed 5,6,7,8 you can hear the motor speed up. Wahoo; we're running
with proper field weakening. But it's almost as if cruise control is
halfway engaged in the lower speeds, locking in all contactors. Except
that the contactors are clicking in; you can hear them. They're not
locked on.

It gets worse. Switch to reverse. Now you will hear the motor spinning
backwards slowly thru the gears, however there is *NO* field to speak of
as the armature current is way off the chart. And after a few seconds
the motor thermal breaker trips.

Any idea what the heck is going on here?

Chris