RE: (ET) E20 main motor rating / max amperage

These numbers are great.  I think this is an excelent reference.  I often feel the motor run with field weakening draws more power than going to the next gear.
Rob, NH

Markus Lorch <mlorch vt edu> wrote:
> > I'm surpised at your current readings. My ammeter (150A max
> > hall effect
> > probe) usually runs around 30-40 A in flat mowing (traction
> > motor and
> > mower motors combined). I've never seen it run over 60 A or
> so total.

Here the measurements I took this evening with my inductive Ammeter
attached to the wire going to the battery. The readings are fairly
rough numbers:

Driving on level asphalt road:
L, Speed 4 25 A
L, Speed 8 35 A
D1, Speed 4 35 A
D1, Speed 8 90 A
D2, Speed 4 50 A
D2, Speed 8 100 A

Mower motors with deck off ground, traction motor not engaged: 25A

Mowing on level ground :
L, Speed 4 50 A (up to 75 A if there is an incline)
L, Speed 8 80 A (up to 100 A on an incline)
D1, Speed 4 75 A
D1, Speed 8 120 A

This shows that mowing in L consumes a bit more power in Speed 8 than in D1,
Speed 4
BUT if one has to go slower then using the L speeds is much better.

Start on almost level asphalt road with max. accelleration:
L = briefly exceeding 400A, then quickly going down to 35A as the tractor
gets up to speed
D1 = briefly exceeding 400A, then quickly going down to 90A as the tractor
gets up to speed
D2 = briefly exceeding 400A, then after a moment I can here the current
limitting turning of the field weakening, holding amperage for a second at
300A, then decreasing to 100 A
as the tractor gets up to speed

I hope you find these numbers interesting

Markus