Re: (ET) charging

In preparation for pulling my E15 apart for R&R I decided to put a really good equalization charge on my pack so I ran the charger overnight. I reached a max voltage of 43.4 and all battery cells were bubbling. After I unhooked the charger and let the pack sit a half hour the voltage dropped to 39.5, all the batteries were within .1 volt of one another.

Still I think I have a bad cell since after I buttoned it up and drove it to the shed the "gas gauge" dropped a good bit from driving 150 yards. I didn't have time to check battery voltage at that time, but is that the best way to find a bad cell, run the batteries down some and see which battery has discharged the most?

PS I have one of those "Solargizers" that I purchased because the shed were the tractor is normally parked doesn't have power. While I was cleaning connections yesterday I tested output unconnected to the pack and it was 60+V in full sun. The meter I was using (actually a dwell meter) doesn't have milliamps so I couldn't check output but it's very small.

Jeff Tickner
Technical Support
800-545-9485, Ext 536
SoftLanding Systems

neil <wombat dssinternet net>
Sent by: elec-trak-bounces cosmos phy tufts edu

07/09/2004 05:11 PM

elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
cc
Subject
(ET) charging

You're right, that is way too low, I did a fatfinger,  Should have been
14.7 or more.  I usually use a value of 2.7 volts per cell as the max.
The auto charging systems I worked with were set to 14.4 volts nominal
at under hood temps.