(ET) power steering?

All this discussion of using linear actuators as front or rear lifts got me thinking.

My E-15 has a very heavy loader on it, and the steering is a real two handed job. I was looking around the 'net for info on linear actuators to use for a lift and came across an article on an old Yanmar diesel tractor converted to electric.

http://www.angelfire.com/ca4/renewables/tracpage.html

Well - why not do the same thing to an ET?? He used a linear actuator controlled by a joystick of sorts to steer. It would be a simple matter to place a linear actuator between the frame and a steering knuckle parallel to the tie rod. I don't think too much force would be required, which is good because you want fairly fast response (screw travel), so leverage will be reduced. There are a number of dish positioners that run on 36 volts and use a revolution counting circuit to stop at a predetermined position. If the steering wheel ran an encoder that "told" the actuator where you were pointing it, the actuator would then move to that position, steering the front wheels. A dish positioner would be very cheap to try. The hardest part for me to design is the steering wheel encoding mechanism. Any engineers out there?