Re: (ET) E12 lost power

In general the drive motor is the last thing I'd suspect (anyone ever blown one?), so I'd agree with the plan to check the field circuits very carefully. If the motor did burn out, I'd expect it to smell terrible so it would be obvious.

But as long as you have the motor off, could test it as a confidence booster. Hook the field to 12 volts, then hook the armature to 12 volts and watch it go.

Richard Zachary wrote:
Put in new solenoid coil at 1F just 3 weeks ago and everything seemed fine. Mowed weekend before last and everything was like new. Went to mow today and seemed fine for two seconds, it went about a foot and half, and then POW! everything stopped. 99.9% of power lost (very slight amount of movement possible both forward and back, but the power usage gauge was pinned to the highest point). Noticed an electric smell, and found a lot of heat up front. Three coils in front of the charger where RED and giving off loads of heat. One of the large wires coming off coil 2F was also hot. I tried the PTO switch and the mower deck by itself ran just fine, leading me to believe that the batteries are OK. Pulled the motor off and tested the resistance across the two main connection posts. The meter went to the top indicating a short across these posts.
Had the motor redone with new bearings, brushes, rotor cut in April.
Question is, could it be something other than the motor?
Thanks in advance for any advise,
Richard "Zack" Zachary