(ET) One last and different perspective on Bill Gun leaving the business

Now that most everyone else has had their say I'd like to offer one (hopefully) last perspective on Bill Gunn leaving the business.

First, the only parts I am worried about being able to purchase are brushes for the motors, circuit breakers, hubs and fiber "clutch" discs for the mower blades, and brake parts.  I had the foresight to buy a few parts tractors when I bought my E15.  My E15 is a working tractor, so through things like home made sheet metal and aftermarket electrical parts are OK by me.

Second, I really think anyone buying obsolete machines, our ETs included, needs to be technically competant.  Face it, there are folks owning ETs that really shouldn't unless they have a support network other than Bill Gunn.  Bill helped them out, and spent a lot of time doing so, when they would have been better served by getting themselves educated about DC motors.  Bill could have, and maybe should have, denied help unless someone owned an owner's shop manual first.  Imagine going into a John Deere dealer and asking for free advice on rebuilding a hydrostatic drive when you didn't have a shop or parts manual.

Here's my perspective with a little history.  When I bought my first E15, 10+ years ago, I found Bill Gunn to be charming, helpful to the extreme, and very fair.  I even went so far as to write one of those "I love your service" letters you occaisionally see posted in car repair shops.  I ended up buying a plow with all attachments from him, and later a tractor mounted bagger with vacuum blower assist.

It is in these larger purchases that I first became a little disenchanted with Bill, but still tried to support him.  The plow was missing the mounting bracket.  No big deal because I already had one from a locally purchased snow blower.  Then I purchased the bagger as a working unit.  First, it didn't fit my tractor and I had to have home made brackets welded to its frame.  The when I went to run it I found that the bearings in the blower motor were shot.  I had to immediately rebuild the motor.  Bill had shipped a "working" unit without testing it first.

A few years later I went to buy a new bag for the bagger.  Bill's price was $300 plus shipping.  I'm sorry, I must be one of the cheapskates that Bill was mentioning, but I didn't buy the bag.  I made my own.

Next I bought brushes for 3 mower deck motors and an E15 traction motor, and hubs with the fiber clutch discs for the same 3 mower motors.  Great purchase, faith is restored.

My last purchase, a little more than a year ago, was for 2 sets of the mower deck rollers.  My shipment came up missing one.  I called and had to ask for a replacement.

In all of these purchase I had to do the call, get a price, write a letter, mail the letter, and then get my parts several days later than I would have with a credit card.  I would have paid the 8-15% extra for faster shipping.

I got tired of the hassle, so I bought everything I could locally because it was cheaper, and more importantly, faster.  I bought from Bill those things that were ET specific.

I think Bill got tired of the hassle, owners want free help, not ordering anything because they had to write a letter with a check, or skipping the order once they got their free advice.  It is real easy to change your mind about ordering parts when you call first and write a letter later.

My feeling is that Bill put himself in a position to tire of the business.  His desire to help everyone, even those who had no business owning an ET, wore him out.  His purchasing set up with the "call for a price" followed by "mail a check with a letter" approach made more work for him and us.  His refusal to embrace the internet hurt his ability to add support for the tractor without his personal involvement.

I think that anyone deciding to take this on would have to have some very different business practices.  Minimum dollar amounts, credit card only, no tech support (Thats our job.) except as necessary to help people buy the right parts (On line expolded parts drawings?), and no returns except for defective parts.  I toyed with this in the past, and have largely decided not to do it.  I am not retired and need a full size income, I don't think I could afford to buy the intellectual property from Bill based on what the business would support.  And there too many buyers like me.

Steve Naugler
snaugler earthlink net