(ET) battery drain

I don't know about the "120" but on my e12 the wire used for a shunt with the load meter was too long by an inch, that made the load meter usually read in the red or be pinned. That may be a place to look.

Wonder, have you checked those batteries for condition (like specific gravity). Also, I'd clean all the clamp to terminal connections both at the battery post and at the wire, a bit of resistance there would cause problems.

I've driven the e12 back and forth from the neighbors on the road, it has several hills that probably are as steep as what you describe and ran in 4th with no problems without a lot of "slowdown".

wombat