Re: (ET) Mower deck motor repair ?

-----Haven't seen any replies on this so....

I believe Bill Gunn has a mower motor repair service that is quite
reasonable.

If you decide to go on your own:

Get the first pdf file at elec-trak.org under Resources/Ge Service Manual
Collection. It has pretty good instructions, so I'll just hit on things I
remember as noteworthy.

The small and large diameter motors are somewhat different. I've mostly
worked with the small diameter ones.

It's likely you have a bad bearing. If they sit for a while and/or get too
wet (from too vigorous use of the hose under the deck) the bearings get
rough.

I haven't done one of these in a while, so this is based on recollection.
If
you have the bearing/brush  carrier off a good part of the job is done. Be
careful not to lose any shim/thrust washers and note where they go.

To remove the armature, you need to pull the blade mount flange off the
shaft. It can be hard to get a puller in there -you may have to improvise
something. There is something non-obvious about pulling the flange - maybe
you need to put a screw in the end of sahft to pull against? Sorry it's
been
a couple of years..

After that the armature should pull out - with some effort, as the bearing
is a tight fit in the case (hopefully). Be careful as the magnets are very
powerful and fragile. They will want to grab the armature. Putting the
armature in is a bit tricky.

The bearings are widely available - but are metric sized. Go to
http://users.rcn.com/ssawtelle/ and see Generic Parts for sizes. I think
it's generally agreed that double shielded and sealed bearings should be
used. Again there is not much room for a puller to get the bearings off. I
ended up buying a bearing puller.

Hope this helps

- SteveS
E20